It may not be true that most humans only use 10% of their brains, but it's definitely true that most programmers who use vi or Vim only use about one tenth of the power of those editors. It's as though they've been given a performance sports car, and they only ever drive it in first gear (and with the hand-brake still on).
This tutorial explores many of the less widely known but more powerful features of Vim, and explains how developers can greatly improve their productivity by optimizing, automating, or even eliminating the common coding tasks they perform every day.
Topics covered include:
- advanced navigation
- smart search modes
- text and filename autocompletion
- extended regex syntax
- understanding and using the numerous input modes
- handy configuration options
- using registers and register persistence
- the text folding mechanism
- building your own editing commands
- active highlighting techniques
- maps, abbreviations, macros, and other short-cuts
- calling other tools from Vim
- safeguarding and recovering your work
1-day or 2-day seminar
Anyone who uses (or would like to use) the Vim text editor.