All I wanted was to add three extra words to Perl's standard syntax.
How hard could that be?
In the end, it required:
- three years
- 2.8 million lines of code
- five nested development projects,
- 3633 CPAN modules,
- 498405 unit tests,
- the four most perfectly obfuscated Perl programs of all time,
- multiple multi-layered multiple-dispatch systems,
- a 1011-line substitution statement,
- a 1758-line regex
- an entirely new meta-meta-metasyntax
This is a tale of madness, obsession, and coding extremity.
This is a journey to the very heart of Perl...and beyond.
This is, very possibly, the most practically useful set of modules I have ever written.
What could possibly go wrong?