This tutorial will show you how to build on the basic Perl constructs and techniques you already know and discover the elegance and power of Perl’s OO capabilities.
In the full two-day course, you will learn:
- how Perl’s object-orientation is built on top of familiar constructs like hashes, packages, and subroutines
- how (and when) to bless hashes, arrays, and scalars;
- several different ways to implement data hiding for Perl objects;
- how Perl implements inheritance and polymorphism (and how you can change the rules of either);
- the features (and traps) of operator overloading in Perl;
- easy ways to build complete classes (semi-)automatically;
The one-day variant of the course covers the following subset of the above topics: basic features of Perl OO, blessing hashes and arrays, automating class construction, introduction to inheritance and polymorphism.
1-day or 2-day seminar
Perl programmers who have a basic knowledge of variables, references, packages, and subroutines